Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Same Old News

I used to think that the purpose of the News was to tell us what's new.

I've gotten over it.

The purpose of the News is to remind us of what is old.

I have some perspective on this, you see. We moved here from out of state about 25 years ago. Everything was new, including all the local news casters, so it is easy for me to affix a time for stories from that period of my life.

This morning, our local announcer, Bill, was reading a story about theft from mailboxes in the small town we first moved to. I'm thinking - 'yea, nothing changes'. Bill affirms this by saying that it's not a new story. I'm thinking 'You tell 'em Bill', and he goes on to say the reports of this crime go back 2 years.

What? Try 25 years - and more, in all likely hood. Cause I remember the same story in the same small town on the same new channel from that time period. Just a different announcer is all, reading the same old news.

No comments:

Post a Comment